Men often assume that they can gauge what a woman will want in an engagement ring by checking out her jewelry collection. Actually, this is as good a bet as any when it comes to trying to choose the ring of her dreams. And while many women have particular tastes when it comes to jewelry (antique or modern, silver or gold, a rainbow of gems or a signature stone, etc.), there are a few things that all women, across the board, will be looking for when they open that box and unveil the one ring they will never take off.
1. Size. Unfortunately, size does matter. She may tell you that she prefers jewelry that is small and unobtrusive, and she may even believe it, but if you give her a stone that she needs a magnifying glass to admire, she may be a touch disappointed.
2. Sparkle. Aside from having some bulk, women want a ring that sparkles. Brilliance has a little to do with the actual stone and a lot to do with the cut. Generally, the best cut for colorless diamonds is round. This multifaceted look tends to catch the most light and create enough glitter to wow any girl.
3. Color. Colored diamonds are in vogue now, and your gal may even profess to love pink or blue diamonds. But when it comes right down to it, colorless stones are the classic standard. To give her a ring that has a timeless beauty, opt for something that is as close to colorless as possible.
4. Setting. This is where most guys get into trouble since it is often difficult to pinpoint her style and avoid trends, which come and go. If you have no idea what she might want, you can’t go wrong with a simple solitaire in white gold. It is flattering to any skin tone and will cost you less than other options (such as diamond-studded or baguette settings). That way if she doesn’t like it, you can simply put the stone in a setting of her choice at a later date and you won’t be out a ton of cash).
5. Bragging rights. If you’re girl doesn’t want to show off her ring to her friends and family, you know you’ve made a grievous error. If you think you’re apt to make a blunder, enlist the help of a trusted gal pal to shop with you…any woman should be able to tell you if the ring you’ve chosen is unsuitable.