Of course you want her engagement ring to be one of a kind. But you have to admit that when you browse the pages of a jeweler’s website, they all start to look the same after awhile. The many choices available for the modern man choosing a diamond can be pretty overwhelming and leave you feeling like a deer in the headlights. However, aside from practicing due diligence (consider learning the four Cs in preparation for your shopping spree), there are several ways you can make this special piece of jewelry even more one-of-a-kind.
1. Engraving. There is no better way to personalize a ring than by getting it engraved. You can have a jeweler stencil in your initials plus her initials, write in a touching phrase, or insert a private joke that will remind her of you every time she sees it. Whatever you write, it’s sure to add a touch of sentimental value that reinforces the bond that a ring represents.
2. Custom Design. Many jewelers offer custom creations for the client who has a little extra money to spend and a desire to get something different. You can help to come up with a design, ask to incorporate a certain style, symbol, or stone, or simply search for someone whose work you appreciate and let them do their thing.
3. Birthstone. Although you may want to stick to a classic, colorless diamond for the center stone, you can make her ring unique to her by adding accent stones from her birth month. As a bonus, you’ll prove once and for all that you actually know when her birthday is.
4. Heirloom. Giving her a ring that has been in your family for generations will let her know just how serious you are about spending the rest of your life with her. So call up your mom to see if you can get grandma’s engagement ring. If you don’t think she’ll like the band, you can always have the stone placed in another setting (save the old one!), but antique styles are very in right now.
5. Heritage. Consider choosing a ring that highlights her family heritage. If her ancestry is Irish for example, you could choose a Celtic knot design. Or if she’s Russian in origin, you could try to emulate one of the Romanov jewels. Whatever her family background, you should have no trouble researching the historical jewelry of her culture to show that her heritage is important to you.